Re: Which memory sticks for Sony PCM D50?

Subject: Re: Which memory sticks for Sony PCM D50?
From: "Paul Slabaugh" texdig
Date: Fri Mar 7, 2008 5:11 pm ((PST))
--- In  "Danny Meltzer"
<> wrote:

> Anyone who has used this recorder...know which of the several brands
> [sony or 3rd party], types, sizes of 'memory sticks' are compatible
> with the PCM D50?
>
> Danny

It's not 'Sony Style' to say another brand is compatible! Sony is as
proprietary as they can get away with (but other brands do
carry 'compliant' sticks). Sony will only say it 'supports' their
stuff. In this case: SONY'S Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and Memory Stick
PRO Duo (High Speed) ...but speed is the real issue here ...esp with
24/96 recording and USB transfers.

I bought 2 - 2gig sticks in Sony's recommended "Memory
Stick PRO Duo (High Speed)". Surprisingly, the recorder calls
it "unknown media" when it loads up! It goes through all the paces
fine though. In a pinch, I would not hesitate buying extra sticks in
a good brand like Sandisk's (High Speed), once I have a Sony stick in
hand as my 'baseline'.
I read other users had no issue with fast sticks of other brands.
The Sony's flagship, "Pro-HG" stick seems of no benefit. It probably
IS 'recognized', and displays THANKS FOR THE EXTRA $$$, but in
researching, I never found a reason for wasting the significant cash
on it.

BEWARE: I found some online sources throwing the words 'high speed'
around, with no more legitimacy than 'super duper'. It's important to
see a product picture. "HIGH SPEED" is written across the center
under a red line.

good sources were at eBay, Amazon, and JR Music