1. Re: Shotgun parabolic, was Re: Seeking advice for a beginner

Subject: 1. Re: Shotgun parabolic, was Re: Seeking advice for a beginner
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:26 pm ((PST))
Posted by: "Paul Slabaugh"

> With renewed respect for the low noise of the sennheiser shotguns (
> and I already use them for video work) ...would it be possible
> to force more cardiod behavior on a Sennheiser ME-66 for parabolic
> use? Any thoughts on knocking out the interference tube function in
> some reversible 'mod' way??? ( ie, interchangeable slotted tube ...
> extra open/close vents ...reflective vanes ...re-orienting the
> capsule).  I think a hack, ala hacksaw, might be ok if it opens up
> more uses for the mic as a multipurpose tool.)  Am I pondering idiocy?

All the little pieces form a tuned interference tube to make the
shotgun. Even the capsule itself is designed specifically. Messing with
any of them will ruin it as a shotgun and probably not produce anything
like a well balanced cardioid. Better to get a ME 64 or even better a
MKH40. You are pondering idiocy.