Other tail sounds, was Re: [Nature Recordists] New Anna's dive sound

Subject: Other tail sounds, was Re: [Nature Recordists] New Anna's dive sound
From: "Debbi B" dgbrusco
Date: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:46 pm ((PST))
I was at a local park yesterday (Oakland CA), and heard the metallic
wing buzz of a Selasphorus hummingbird (Allen's/Rufous). I did not hear
the chupity-chup call, but I heard a sound that seemed to coincide with
it flying by. I didn't see it as I didn't have my binocs with me, and
unfortunately by the time I got over my surprise, it was too late to
catch a recording. It only did that twice. The closest thing I can think
of to describe it is  somewhat of a softer, higher-pitched Common Loon.
Cornell says they don't "sing", so could this be a tail sound and has
anyone heard this? The only thing I could find that said anything about
that is here: http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/humm/RufousOval.html.

Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> This morning, while watching a single male Anna's Hummingbird feed while=

> perched at one of my feeders another male approached in an aggressive
> manner at top speed. His trajectory was flat, not diving or pulling out o=
> a dive and he stopped suddenly immediately below the other male and as he=

> stopped, he made the "dive sound. I could see his tail flare at the same=

> instant, but of course could not tell if that flare caused the sound or i=
> it was simply used as a "brake."
>
> Lately I have been recording this sound outside my office using the mic
> that always monitors the outdoors here, and I keep hearing two forms of t=
he
> sound. One occurs with no "introduction" and the other is preceded by a
> wing trill typical of the downward part of their dive. That trill probabl=
> serves as an announcement to interloping males and to females that he is=

> about to display and "beep" to get their attention. I am now trying to ge=
> more visual observations of the behavior where he can "beep" without
> diving. I still have never observed one "beeping" while perched.
>
> Doug
> Doug Von Gausig
> Natural Sounds  and Photos at:
> http://naturesongs.com