Re: short frog recording Whroo, Vic, Australia.

Subject: Re: short frog recording Whroo, Vic, Australia.
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:15 pm ((PST))
Sorry about the previous blank reply...

Thanks for the kind words.

Martyn's suggestion of striped marsh frog made me have another
careful listen to some online recordings.  It seems like we were too
far north of the known range for striped marsh frog. I now think the
other main species is the Eastern Sign-bearing Froglet (Crinia
parinsignifera)
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Crinia/parinsignifera/

I'm pretty sure the kuk-kuk-kuk call is Spotted Marsh Frog
(Limnodynastes tasmaniensis)
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/species/Limnodynastes/tasmaniensis/

Whroo is in the Murray Goulburn region, and the Goldfields region is
to the West, and the follow pages give regional frog guides...
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/ofVic/Goulburn_and_Murray
http://frogs.org.au/frogs/ofVic/The_Goldfields

Unfortunately I had to contend with a trio of teenaged trail bike
riders who thought (illegally) hooning about until 10pm was cool. The
recording was done in a brief lull in the racket just after dark.
It's a bit disappointing in that on my last trip recording to the
area was comparatively peaceful and still. As luck would have it the
sump of my car was holed by rock on a back trail before I was able to
get any recording done and that outing had to be abandoned.

cheers
Paul