Re: an introduction and request for mic advice

Subject: Re: an introduction and request for mic advice
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:08 am ((PST))
<<I've taken 414's out a few times. I'm not sure why, but they were
noisier than the specs would suggest, a tad "warm" and they had more
issues with the wind than I'm used to.>>

I've also found C414's to not fare very well outside of studio
contexts. Although many studio recordists complain about a perceived
brittle high end on these mics, I feel a more bothersome
characteristic is a wooliness in the 160Hz to 200Hz region, which I
suspect is the overly "warm" response you refer to. They are
extremely susceptible to mechanical vibration as well.

Scott Fraser