Best way to get more gain?

Subject: Best way to get more gain?
From: "Don Lintner" don_lintner
Date: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:11 am ((PST))
I'm fairly new at recording and recently started working with a Tascam
HD-P2 and, usually, an AT835ST mic (although my problem doesn't go away
with other mics). When recording, I don't get much gain out of the
HD-P2. Usually in outdoor situations when there is not a sound source
very close to the mic, I can just turn up the gain to maximum and get
record levels that are still very low. Typically no where near -12db.

Is this normal? Any suggestions for how to deal with this? Do I just
push up the volume in my audio editor? Would a mixer or pre-amp help?

Don

--
Don Lintner
University Graphics/Photo Program Manager

Phone 262-595-2286
FAX 262-595-2017
Email