[gear] MT2 TRS Input Noise (was Tascam DR-1 field recorder

Subject: [gear] MT2 TRS Input Noise (was Tascam DR-1 field recorder
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:19 am ((PST))

f7a854&topic=3D88437.msg1286241#msg1286241>http://taperssection.com/index.p=
hp?PHPSESSID=3Df3945723660a9254fbdbafc51df7a854&topic=3D88437.msg1286241#ms=
g1286241

Thanks Chris. I can't determine from the above string whether the
noise occurs only when using unbalanced mics in the TRS inputs or
with balanced mics too. If the former, I wonder if anyone tried a
cable with 1/4" TRS jacks and a jumper between the shield and ring
connectors.

>This is a new bug affecting MT2. The MT1 didn't have this problem.

Perhaps the input circuits are a challenge to miniaturize or require
more design/testing attention than some makers justify in such
low-cost units. We've learned to not make any performance
assumptions. I found the balanced line input of the MT1 I tested to
be unexpectedly noisy:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/pages/MicroTrack_NH900_722_=
IMA-QT-present.html
Volker reported unexpected, poor quality with the balanced line
inputs of his Edirol R4 if I recall correctly. Rob D.