Re: Wide Sound Stage Parabolic Reflector

Subject: Re: Wide Sound Stage Parabolic Reflector
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi Tom--
> You might have set a record for the number of mics involved in a
> stereo rig. :-)  As for the tests,I'm having trouble determining
> which radio sound is established to be the right and which on the
> left. I do a difference but the changing sounds make it harder to pin
> down.

Hi Rob

The music is from the radio on the right,  the current affairs
discussion is from the radio on the left.  I find it easier to place
them when listening through headphones - but then I know where they
were placed :-)

> Are all six mics making up each side/channel all wired in parallel?

Yes all six mics in each side/channel are wired in parallel.  I took
great care to ensure that the phasing of the three capsules added to
each channel was correct, however the front three capsules are 6.5
inches in front of the rear three.  This might be causing a problem.

> As the focal point mics are optimized for center pick-up, would it
> make sense to direct the mics on the protruding barrier in front
> towards the sides, perhaps at an angle of 115 degrees or even
> opposing each other.  Rob D.

After I have done an outdoors test with the current setup I will try
repositioning the mics as you suggest.  Will also try mounting the
front pair of triplets, again angled as you suggest, on the front of
the circular disc which holds the focal point capsules.  this will
reduce the reduce the gap between front and rear capsules to 4.5
inches and make a simpler, neater assembly while still allowing the
front triplets to be in front of the plane of the dish's rim.

All good ,interesting fun.

Cheers - TomR