Re: Split Parabola Boundary Array

Subject: Re: Split Parabola Boundary Array
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 am ((PST))
Hi Curt,
I have tried it with the mics pointing to the dish, out from the dish
and now toward the boundary. All three ways sound slightly different
and previously I had preferred out from the dish because I thought the
off axis sounds sounded better.

I was concerned however that having the mic membranes perpendicular to
the boundary might be causing some funny phase cancellations. Until
now I hadn't come up with a good way to accurately mount the capsules
facing the boundary. So, a lot of the reason for facing the boundary
is for the sake of experimentation, but my hope is it will maximize
the free gain in the pressure zone where the boundary combines with
the parabolic reflection.

As far as the severe separation. I notice that too, but maybe it is
the location more than anything. Will have to test it out in a quieter
setting. Maybe panning both channels slightly toward the center in
post will fix it - I'll give that a try.

I'm late for work. So until later...

-John Hartog