Re: Utah (was "the arctic")

Subject: Re: Utah (was "the arctic")
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:04 pm ((PST))
Hi Bruce,
I just returned to Portland from a drive down to the Denver area for
the holidays, so for the first time I got to cross the beautiful
stretch of Utah along Highway 70. Unfortunately I didn't have time to
do much recording of (or dancing to) nature sounds.

I did however listen to some wonderful sounds of ice rafts rolling
against the icy banks and splitting against an ice sharpened tip of a
sand bar in the Green River at Crystal Geyser just south of the town
of Green River.

The geyser, though it wasn't blasting at the moment was making some
interesting fizzy gurgles. It didn't sound very natural though,
because of funny reverberations from the big iron pipe set into it.
Makes me wonder about other geysers and how often they get an ugly
pipe crammed down their throat to make the water shoot unnaturally
straight up.

Happy New Year!
John Hartog

--- In  "Bruce Wilson"
<> wrote:

> Off topic, but relevant to the quoted post:
>
> That bill, before the US congress, like every other wilderness bill
Utah has
> written and attempted to pass, was an odd compromise. In it the Federal
> government designated federal land as Wilderness without designating
> encompassed State lands also as wilderness (to maintain state
sovereignty),
> leading to Wilderness Designation by Section ("This square mile will be
> wilderness, this one won't"). It had so many grandfathered
exceptions that
> it's hard to see how the land use might change. For example, cattle
grazing
> rights continue, lakes and streams continue to be stocked and
maintained,
> the provision that no roads be included in the wilderness lead to high
> fragmentation, and it was even permissible to build a road in the
Wilderness
> as long as it was made to access non-federal lands. The Bill also
> established Wilderness by designation, not adhering to the
definitions of
> the Wilderness Act (as amended). Some of the areas designated in the
Bill