Beginner questions

Subject: Beginner questions
From: "Nicolas Selosse" clipon2002
Date: Fri Dec 7, 2007 1:51 am ((PST))
Hi folks,
First of all,a little bit of presentation : I'm birdwatching sinds 20 years
now, mainly in France and in Belgium but I have a special interest in the
Baltic States (every spring there, next spring we go to Belarus). According
to my friends, I've very good ears and knowledge of bird songs.
Nevertheless, I've never been interested in sound recordings before having
the book "The sound approach" in my hands a few months ago. The french
version will soon be released! I've also had the chance to meet Magnus Robb
(One of the Sound Approach) on Helgoland, a small German Island far in the
North Sea.
>From this, I've read hundreds of web pages, going on to serveral Bird forum,
...to achieve tips on material to buy for a beginner.
As I've a restrictive budget, I've bought a Sony minidisc MZ-R70 on Ebay and
will soon place an order to mr Strandberg for the foldable telinga dish.
I've found two "do it youself" mounts on the internet :
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/quickparabolic.html
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/gjk/microphone.htm
Which one would you recommend ? I like the first one with the pipe going
till the microphone but the sound may be hindered by the pipe (even with the
holes) itself ?

I still have to find the good mic which is the most important. I would
prefer a smal one going directly to my minidisc (PIP). The EM-23 from
Telinga seems to be THE solution but is unfortunately out of my planned
budget (EM 23 price = 255 EUR/373 USD).
What mic could you recommend me with a max budget of 120 EUR /175 USD. Or
does someone have a secondhand EM-23 or EM-21 to sell ?
I can't find any intermediary solution (like the EM23) between very small
lavalier mic (may be is the Audio Techinca ATR35S good) and hand mic (too
big to be placed into a parabola.
Thanks in advance for you help