(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Dec 6, 2007 2:58 pm ((PST))
Here's the response, folks.

Personally, I HATE New Age. Any thoughts how to answer?

Bernie

Begin forwarded message:
From: "Bill Freimuth" <>
Date: December 6, 2007 2:14:10 PM PST
To: "Bernie Krause" <>
Subject: RE: New naturesound category question

Hi Bernie,

Interesting notions.

As far as establishing a category for natural soundscape recordings,
it's not so much how many NARAS members are affiliated with the field
as how many entries we get that would be a better fit in that field
(are an awkward fit in our current categories).  Generally, the folks
who make such calls (our Awards & Nominations Committee) require at
least 25 such entries in one year before establishing the new
category-30-50 would be even better.

I'm not aware of many of these entries being made in the current
year's process.  You may want to think of a strategy like this:
encourage everyone you know who releases these recordings to enter
into the process for the 51st GRAMMY Awards.  (The entry period is
late June-early September.  Entries may be made by Recording Academy
members or registered labels/media companies.  Company registration
is free and open from May-August through a link on our website.)  As
you know, these recordings don't really have a proper genre home
right now, though you may want to think about categories like Album
of the Year, Best Engineered Album, Producer of the Year, or maybe
even New Age.  Then you would have less of an uphill battle in your
pursuit the following year.

Of course, you're welcome to make the proposal this year (due March
15th) by  filling out the attached form.  Note, however, that if a
new category is rejected by A&N, then it may not be proposed again
for two years.

I hope this helps.  Give a call if you'd like to discuss.

All the best,

Bill

Bill Freimuth
Sr. Director, Awards
National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc.
3402 Pico Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA  90405
Message: 310.