Sony PCM-D50 -- just out of the box

Subject: Sony PCM-D50 -- just out of the box
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Dec 4, 2007 3:48 pm ((PST))
I received the Sony PCM-D50 field recorder today.  I'll have a more
complete report in a day or so, but I decided to post a quick note.

At first, I was disappointed by what appeared to be a preamp that is
noisy, or perhaps the built-in mics are noisy.  Then I realized that
the sensitivity of the built-in mic is very high.  I was driving the
preamp to clipping with a gain setting of 7/10.  Backing off to a gain
setting of 5/10 made my voice recordings indoors sound much better.

Outside, I tried recording wind chimes at a distance of 10 feet (3
meters).  Again, a setting of 7 of 10 was the maximum before lots of
distortion and clipping.

The built-in mics proved to be more sensitive than my Sennheiser ME20.
 In other words, the built-in mics produce a louder recording than the
ME20 does, when capturing the same source material.

Fortunately, the D50 has a -20dB cut filter, selectable by a switch.
With the cut filter turned on, gain levels of 8 or 9 were OK, with low
preamp noise noticeable.

With this detail understood, I'm starting to like the D50!

--oryoki