8. Re: modified ambient recording setup AT 3032

Subject: 8. Re: modified ambient recording setup AT 3032
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Dec 2, 2007 6:24 pm ((PST))
At 7:48 PM +0000 12/2/07, Steve Cox wrote:
>... I can't seem to discern the difference at 3k or 10k to my ears.
>I can barely hear it at 15k. There does seem to be a difference in
>warmth at the 200-400Hz but it's subtle. I just posted a smaller
>clip of the original stereo pink noise recording called "Stereo
>AT3032 pink noise". Maybe with better hp's this would be more
>audible. If the difference is enough to get another couple of mics I
>will see about doing just that. The boxes aren't sealed and there
>isn't a serial number so it shouldn't matter.

If I have difficulty hearing significant differences, the mics
usually meet my personal criteria. I'll use test tones and make
sonograms if I detect something suspicious when testing by ear.
Maybe the next thing to do, Steve, is to take them into the high
humidity field conditions to see if they both are resistant to
moisture. Dan reporting using a shower; maybe he can describe how he
did this.

>  I get all my gear from Full Compass because I've had the same rep
>for over 10 years.

Good idea. Their trust could be worth a lot at some point. I wish
they would rent to own -- at least they refused the times I inquired.
Rob D.