Re: Fostex FR-2LE and Marantz PMD620

Subject: Re: Fostex FR-2LE and Marantz PMD620
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:44 am ((PST))
About the Fostex FR-2LE, Rob Danielson wrote:
> For only $90USD more than a PMD620, one can invest in a
> recorder that can excel in the most demanding situations.

Rob, I agree that the FR-2LE is a wonderful machine.  Its preamps rank
with the best, it has XLR cable inputs, and the optional 7.2V 3600 mah
rechargeable battery has plenty of juice to provide phantom power to
mics that need it.

The Marantz PMD620 costs $400.  The cheapest source I see online
tonight for the Fostex FR-2LE is $539.  That's more than a $90
difference, but the point remains valid: You can spend somewhat more
and get a recorder with better all-around performance.

The PMD620's strength is its decent performance in a very compact
package.  The analogy from the world of photography applies:  While a
SLR camera gives better performance, a pocket-size point and shoot is
more likely to be taken along.  Both have their place.

--oryoki