Re: Owl in suburbia. (East coast, Australia.)

Subject: Re: Owl in suburbia. (East coast, Australia.)
From: "Peter" pengo_au
Date: Thu Nov 1, 2007 6:22 pm ((PDT))
Ah is that what those doves are called? I'm surprised I've never seen
one while it's calling. Well so much for my 8-year-old imagination.

I'm surprised you can hear so many birds in the track. Is there a
freely available guide or downloadable training tape for learning to
tell bird calls (that I could listen to between podcasts when commuting)?

Peter Halasz.

--- In  "Alistair Stewart"
<> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> The main call is Spotted Turtle-dove (Streptopelia chinensis) and is a
> common, introduced species. Unfortunately, not an owl or even a native
> species but it does have quite  a nice call. There are a few other
species
> calling in or near your backyard that I could ID:
> House Sparrow, Common Starling, Common (Indian) Mynah, Common
Blackbird, Red