Re: [fieldcraft] cable wrapping techniques

Subject: Re: [fieldcraft] cable wrapping techniques
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:03 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Greg Weddig"

> For my long cables I prefer a extension cord reel.  The ones I use are
> a circular orange wheel with a deep flange and knob.  Available at
> most hardware stores.  I find that by the time I stuff a coiled cable
> into a backpack, i never fail to lose the proper coil.

What I use if there is no reel is a mountaineer's coil. This preserves
the coil properly while engaged in the usual travel for mountaineers,
which is much tougher than most nature recording outings. The original
you sit on the ground and coil between the bottom of your foot and knee.
  Keep a few turns out, join the two ends with a simple loose knot, then
use the remaining cable to wrap the coil. Once at the far end of the
coil join the two connectors. Throw it over your shoulder and be off.
I've carried hundreds of feet of climbing rope that way through very
rough country. Microphone cable is even smaller.

You can do a mountaineer's coil to a smaller diameter if it's going into
a pack.

Otherwise I use the donut spools that kitefliers use. They make a more
compact storage than the hardware store spools.