1. Re: Red is Right etc.

Subject: 1. Re: Red is Right etc.
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:17 am ((PDT))
Frank Hinrichs wrote: "So I guess there is no international standard
for cable coding."

Actually, there are some standards, but I don't know how well they're
adhered to. Cable manufacturer Klotz list the following, which
includes their own recommendations, plus IEC 708 and DIN 47100/11.79
recommendations by the look of it:

http://www.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quickorder/lshop.cgi?action=3Ddownload&fil=
e_id=3D2&wkid=3D2004g&ls=3De&nocache=3D

Kabeltronik also list the DIN 47100/11.79 recommendation:

http://www.kabeltronik.de/en/infos_03.php

The Consumer Electronics Association recommends the following standard
for consumer 5.1 applications, which is:

Front Right speaker: Red
Front Left speaker: White
Center Channel: Green
Left Surround (side): Blue
Right Surround (side): Gray
Left Back Surround: Brown
Right Back Surround: Tan
Subwoofer Line-Level Output (RCA): Purple

Nice to know that standards exist. Personally, for multichannel work,
I'm happy to follow the resistor colour code, using heatshrink tubing
(like umashankar, I already know it - in fact, it's burnt into my
brain!).