Re: quick question about flying with equipment

Subject: Re: quick question about flying with equipment
From: "frankmhinrichs" frankmhinrichs
Date: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:12 am ((PDT))
--- In  Scott Fraser <> wrote:

> <<I would add to Frank's comment that you need to be prepared to turn
> each device on for inspection. In other words, don't go with empty
> batteries.>>
>
> While this was true in the past, I must say I haven't had to
> demonstrate any equipment's ability to turn on in at least a decade.
> I believe security personal put their trust in the sniffing devices
> now. I frequently have microphones removed from bags for personal
> inspection, but no real problems other than a slight delay.
>
> Scott Fraser

I haven't been asked to turn on my equipment on at any security check. It
depends on the
equipment and ability of the security officer: I've had occasions where the
operator just
switched screens a few times and didn't ask to open my remova pilot trolley,
some
couldn't distiguish anythying and wanted me to open the luggage just to look or
have it all
taken out.
I carry with me a Deva 5, 3 or 4 microphones and hydrophones, cables and other
accessories so it can be quite confusing on a screen. I can't complain about
over zealous
treatment anywhere, be it Belgium, Spain France, Malaisia, Indonesia, USA and
others.
regards,
Frank Hinrichs