Re: Some calls recorded in National parks

Subject: Re: Some calls recorded in National parks
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:46 am ((PDT))
Meena,

I would have liked to hear the sounds but am getting file not found
errors.

----------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Meena Haribal <>
wrote:

> Hi all,
> I sent this a couple of days ago but did not see that it has been
posted.
> So I am sending it again.
>
> Meena
>

> Hi all,
> I recently visited Yellowstone National Park and had a chance of
recording
> some mammals, insects and some bird behaviors and anthropogenic
sounds.  I
> have uploaded them on to the groups website.
>
> Here is cut of herd of bisons or buffaloes, whatever you prefer to
call
> them, were grazing and socializing on a nearby hill about 200 to
500 feet
> away from me at dusk. As it got darker they moved closer and closer
to me.
> Young bulls were challenging each other and that would produce
cloud of
> dust that looked like mini Geysers.  But I was definitely annoyed
by the
> sounds that were made by humans created machines. There was hardly
anytime
> when the a car or a truck nearby was not heard passing by. In this
cut
> finally there is car that passes. I had to stop recording often as
soon as
> I heard the car approaching. I could not get a minute worth time
that was
> free of car sounds. I spent more than an hour at this spot.
>
>   1
> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IOrMRsK9-b2Uafkvt_1exs_O1g-
cX2E7CZrQ3o0UiidGDDTg4z1bfvZSTZNxmmT34d_0nbF43xmoSOEjhiRiDVNQrr0TUKkOJ
Q/014-1-Bisons%20in%20Yellow%20stone%2070813%20014.mp3

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yt9xxf
>

> I also recorded Cheetal deer giving alarm call in Tadoba National
park in
> India at dusk a couple of years ago, we were sitting atop a machan
whole
> night to listen to sounds of wild animals. The sound reverberates
in the
> forest and echos. even now I feel the sound (rather than hear) like
you do
> for ruffed grouse.
>

> 2
> http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IOrMRo_AitOUafkv9W3BFMqBHa-
ujg9UdgXO_0TWg4hu7WABV6bRHxzV9FQIJL84Gd0XiI_AG-
yi_YZSsMNo2utkuMAECQ3yxA/cheetalalarmcall.mp3

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/2yohrf
>
> At the same place later I recorded a Syke's nightjar and another
species of
> nightjar which I am still not very sure about the species, but in
this
> recording you hear a snoring by a human though annoying.
> 3

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/IOrMRl3VSzCUafkvviB5UyjqJmFlysY7T0cxPSLlH
kWHB9q8OFPk27VMCdhfzduV4-yAPXB99ohS1Dok__n59UvmcOtroUoXZQ/nightjar.mp3

> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2em8v9
>

> I also recorded several geysers and other geology related sounds
and will
> post when I get time.
> Meena

> Meena Haribal
> Cornell Lab Of Ornithology
> 159, Sapsucker Woods Road
> Ithaca NY 14850
> Phone: 607-254-2148, 607-254-4958
> Fax: 607-254-2415, 607-254-2104
> webpage:

<http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/mmh3/>http://www.people.cornell.e
du/pages/mmh3/
> http://www.geocities.com/asiootusloe/

<http://birds.cornell.edu/cayugabirdclub/>http://birds.cornell.edu/cay
ugabirdclub/
> Current Loc: 42o 25' 44.48" N, 76o 28' 16.90" W Elev 816 ft or
Message: 248.
Subject: 7 m