8. Re: What is a natural sound?

Subject: 8. Re: What is a natural sound?
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:25 pm ((PDT))
Nice point, like the Mocking bird.

-----Original Message-----
From: frankmhinrichs <>
Sent: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 7:08 pm
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: What is a natural sound?

sorry to drop in here, just a thought:
I once heard a recording of I believe a wild Hill Myna in Indonesia's rainf=
orrest (a BBC
wildlife documentary). The bird was imitating a chainsaw. This shows how fa=
r humans
have impacted on nature even if this is an exceptional example. Is there st=
ill some line to
be drawn?
regards
Frank Hinrichs

--- In  Klas Strandberg <> wrot=
e:

> May I interfere here, without having read all postings...??
>
> If I hear just 10 recordings of a Blyth's warbler, background dead
> silent, no manmade sounds, - I may very well get the impression that
> such a warbler is a one that never sings in a town. But it does.
> A few years ago I recorded one in Helsinki, with lots of cars around
> and an ambulance passing by.
> I like that recording.
>
> And what about a recording of a Robin, sitting at a car antenna at
> Trafalgar Square? Isn't that "a natural sound"?
> I think it is.
>
> Or have I missed something?
>
> Klas.
>
> At 01:56 2007-08-22, you wrote:
> >This may sound like a dumb question, but I'm curious about where
> >people on this site draw the line between recordings of nature and
> >recordings of non-nature, and why the line is drawn where it is.
> >
> >Is a recording of a fog horn on topic on this site?
> >
> >A recording of a ferry and the water through which it is moving?
> >
> >A recording from the 30th floor balcony of a New York apartment of
> >the city breathing at night?
> >
> >A recording of crickets with the sound of city traffic in the background=
?

> >A recording of torrential rain from inside a car? From under an umbrella=
?

> >To give a specific example...
> >
> >Last week I recorded nesting seabirds at Cape St. Mary's in
> >Newfoundland. I made a separate recording of the Cape St. Mary's fog
> >horn. If I upload the first recording to this site, would it be "off
> >topic" to upload the second recording? If so, the distinction
> >strikes me as a bit odd. Hence my question.
> >
> >Cheers
> >

> >"While a picture is worth a thousand words, a
> >sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause
> >
> >Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
> S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
> Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
> email:
> website: www.telinga.com

Check Out the new free AIM(R) Mail -- Unlimited storage and industry-leadin=
g spam and email virus protection.