7. Re: Movie soundscapes

Subject: 7. Re: Movie soundscapes
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Mon Aug 6, 2007 11:55 pm ((PDT))
Yes I'm afraid there are about 10 million other things that filmmakers
are thinking about besides getting the soundtrack to be species
accurate because they KNOW no one knows the difference and/or THEY
don't know the difference...or even worse, they just don't care.

It's like every credit card or bank commercial where they are trying
to illustrate the concept of having a 'monkey on your back' and they
use a chimp...an APE not a MONKEY!  Apparently no one knows that the
two are different, but for me, after that point I don't even register
the point of the commercial.  And I'm not even a biologist.  I mean, I
would think there are a heck of a lot of people who would realize that
mistake.

One thing I will say, sometimes filmmakers do know it's not accurate,
but [realizing they have some room to play with since most people
don't know what's what with animal sounds] they use whatever FEELS
right in a more abstract sense.  I think as a filmmaker you have a
sovereign right to tell your story first and worry about any kind of
objective accuracy second.  No whether you tell the story well after
that, that's another issue.

One movie where they went to great lengths to get the soundtrack right
was THE NEW WORLD.  The movie was a little iffy on historical
accuracy, but they did give it their best as far as natural sounds go.
 I think I posted about this a while back.

Check out this article:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_natural_sound_new/

Danny