4. Movie soundscapes

Subject: 4. Movie soundscapes
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Aug 6, 2007 8:37 pm ((PDT))
I don't know how many on the list have seen BLOOD DIAMOND, but with
my wife on the road last night, and the Netflix DVD sitting by itself
on the coffee table and me alone in the house, I put it in the
player. For me, it ain't a good flick. Way too violent in the
episodic Hollywood American sense to be worthwhile no matter what the
"cause."  But it was made far worse by the terrible sound editing.
The story takes place in Africa in (sometimes) forested areas where
diamonds are mined. I got as far as the scene where those jerks
inserted a Screaming Piha (Lipaugus vociferans) and tropical South
American frogs and insects as part of the soundscape. It was at that
moment they lost me and I shut the damned thing off. I could no
longer suspend disbelief, having no patience for this kind of cynicism.

Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

Google Earth zooms: Earth.WildSanctuary.com