Re: Lightning arrestor

Subject: Re: Lightning arrestor
From: "Gregory Kunkel" gkunk2001
Date: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:25 pm ((PDT))
David
  I have run a simalar system for 12 years until my preamp wore out
this last may.
http://www.catskill.net/gkunk/birds/

The installation was under the eave of a house and consisted
orginally of Radio Shack Microphone elements 270-092 and ended for
the last four years with Panasonic WM61-B electrets.

The house also has a mast mounted weather station on the peak above
the microphone. The mast has a 10 gauge copper wire running down to
the opposite eave and then down to a 8 ft copper rod driven into the
soil. The rod is separate from the one to which the house's
electrical system is grounded. The mast base is about 15 ft above the
microphone mounting position. I believe the mast acts as a lightning
rod and there has been no evidence of lighting hitting the house,
even though the mountainous area has some severe electrical storms.

The mast is the type you would buy for mounting a television antenna,
and extends 10 ft above the level of the peak.Wires from my weather
station run into the house at the same place as the wires from my
microphone. They are both monitored from the same computer. The
weather station has been working continuously.

The problem of the preamp was a slowly developing one and not
associated with and electrical storm. The preamp will be replaced
before next spring.

                            Greg Kunkel

The house is on a hill surrounded by trees but is fairly exposed.

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/