9. Re: Flash based IDE drives...

Subject: 9. Re: Flash based IDE drives...
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Moe Kunkle"

> My laptop dropped only 8 inches when my foot caught a cable connected
> to it. There were read/write operations taking place at that exact
> moment. There was no damage to the laptop proper. However, serious
> damage was done to the data on that drive. Of course this is anecdotal.

One of the things I like about my MacBook Pro is the power connector.
It's held in place magnetically and cannot drag the laptop off anything.
The connector simply pops free if pulled. (for day to day use I still
grab the connector to disconnect it as some have ruined wires in it
pulling it off by the wire)

It was the power cable that dragged my wife's Powerbook off when our cat
did it. It dropped more than 3' landing on the power connector. Luckily
it was not running. Still had to find and replace the bottom case, power
supply board, and power supply. Had it been running I'm sure the HD
would not have done well.