4. Re: Flash based IDE drives...

Subject: 4. Re: Flash based IDE drives...
From: "Chris Edwards" chris2edwards
Date: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:01 am ((PDT))
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, stoatwizard wrote:

| Wow. Does that not imply almost an equal and opposite acceleration being
| applied via the disk mechanism, or a greater force than the peak force
| experience to keep the head off the disk?

As I understand it, the "Sudden Motion Sensor" is supposed to quickly park
the heads somewhere out of harm's way, so when the impact comes, the heads
don't crash into the disk data surface.

No idea how well it actually works!

| The cynic in me suggests this is most a CYA operation for Apple's
| lawyers to disclaim responsibility in case of data loss :)

Incase there's any doubt which way things are going, word is apple are
developing pure flash-based laptops, with no HD...