Re: setting FR-2LE record level

Subject: Re: setting FR-2LE record level
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:19 am ((PDT))
hi.... I don't find the page on the link you suggest....
instead, I found it here:
http://www.fostex.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=topic&t=3539

in my opinion the best signal path should be   trim1-amplify-trim2
what do you think of ?

Gianni

At 19.35 20/07/2007, you wrote:

>Here's valuable information about setting the Record Level dial. I
>found this on the Fostex USA message board.
><http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=topic&t=3539>http://www.fostexusa.com/mercuryboard/index.php?a=topic&t=3539
>
>--oryoki
>
>Jim Yale wrote:
>
>The Trim knobs of the FR-2LE affect the XLR microphone inputs only.
>The Rec Level knob affects both the mic and line input.
>
>Basically this is a question of "gain structure" which is usually
>talked about in the subject of mixing consoles. It's just like a mixer
>input channel in this order...
>
>XLR mic socket -> Mic pre-amp and Trim (gain) control -> Line input
>socket (over-rides XLR when used) -> Rec Level control knob.
>
>Setting up a good gain structure basically (to me) means having as
>much gain at the first opportunity in the signal path. With a
>microphone this is the Mic Trim. The Rec Level is set to "unity," the
>0 mark - neither boosting nor cutting the signal. The point of good
>gain structure is that you don't amplify, cut and then re-amplify.
>Each stage of amplification will also amplify the noise of the
>preceeding circuits - so it's cleaner if you only amplify a signal in
>just one stage as close to the source as possible.
>
>I checked my unit with a -12dBFS 1Khz sine tone to line-in. Level "0"
>corresponds to 3 o'clock on the Rec Level dials. That's the position
>where the meters say -12. The 2LE provides about +4dB of gain above
>this with Rec Level dial at max. The Right channel level had to be
>tweaked slightly behind the left to get equal reading left and right.
>
>I then sent a full 0dBFS signal and got everything lit up except Clip.
>
>I'd therefore recommend 3o'clock for the Record Level dial. Less than
>that is providing cut. If you find during recording the source gets
>hotter than expected, don't be afraid to drop the Rec level - you can
>do that qucker than the fiddly mic trim controls!

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>19/07/2007 18.10

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra
CIBRA organizes the XXI IBAC Congress, Pavia, 15-18 September 2007
http://www.unipv.it/cibra/xxi_ibac.html