Rode NTG-2 vs. ME66 w/ K6 vs. AT897...

Subject: Rode NTG-2 vs. ME66 w/ K6 vs. AT897...
From: "no_mas_films" no_mas_films
Date: Thu Jul 5, 2007 3:45 pm ((PDT))
Hello all! Ok here's the deal; I own a AT897 shotgun mic which I have
used and found to have a really low output level...so I read a glowing
review of these five low cost shotguns (
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=42674&highlight=at897 )
where I gleaned that the Rode NTG-2 is the superior mic so I bought one
on eBay for $195.00 US. Not long after I found a ME66 / K6 combo on
eBay with a rycote shockmount and a rycote dead cat windscreen for
$50.00 US plus $7.95 shipping. I snatched it up thinking that I can get
6 times that figure on ebay and it will help pay for the Fostex CF
recorder I wanted. Just for grins I have done a side by side test of
these three and low and behold, the ME66 has won me over! It's output
is so high compared to the other two it's scary, and although it's a
bit heavy on the low end and seems to lack alittle on the highs, I
believe it will be the superior mic for recording nature. I would love
to hear from the more experienced posters on this group about their
experiences with these three! Thanks, Chris