Re: Stereo question

Subject: Re: Stereo question
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:12 am ((PDT))

The setup for the recording was basically the same as one of Curt
Olson's experiments --- Shure 183's (omnis) attached to opposite sides
of parallel 1 x 3 boards.
 (I wired the 2 microphones into a single t-r-s miniplug with the red
wires going to the tip  and  ring and every thing else going to the
ground. So I guess the connections could be bad, but I don't see what
could be crossed.)

If there were no boards and the mics were perfectly omni's at all
frequencies there would be no front/back information since
interchanging the microphones, switching channels, and rotating the
setup 180 degress would all produce exactly the same effect. So it
seems to me.

Departures from symmetric polar pattern at even some frequencies would
mean that there might be front/back information in the recording and I
could believe that sticking the suckers on boards would increase this
even more, though I haven't convinced myself that this is the case.

Am I correct that it is also impossible to make a front/back
assignment to a stationary souce that is located on the mid-plane?

If the mp3 compression is messing things up, should I post a .wav file?

Thanks,

Steve P