Re: plea from a newbie

Subject: Re: plea from a newbie
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:53 am ((PDT))
Russ, there should not be any loss of volume running a longer cable
as you are using. So I'd suspect something is wrong.

My guess with the buzz is that your XLR to 1/4 adapters aren't
'grounded' and you're hearing a nasty ground buzz? In general, you
should attempt to run XLR as long as possible I would think, and
convert it to 1/4 only at the terminus of the cable. If you can avoid
1/4 altogether, all the better.

But using a 1/4 non-balanced cable, is probably dropping half the
signal (since XLR carries two signal pins and and a ground pin),
going to unbalanced 1/4, would likely be dropping half the signal,
which would account for the significant volume loss?

But cables are too important not to invest in some decent ones. Which
doesn't not mean spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, but do get
some good ones, nothing from Radio Shack! If you know how to solder,
buy the materials and make your own.

Otherwise, I really like No Shorts Cable company in California, based
out of Pacific Radio and Electronics <http://www.pacrad.com/
noshorts.php>. I've had them make me quite a few custom cables, and
their prices are fair and they do excellent work.

I and I think a lot of other people here use Canare Star-Quad mic
cable. It's not too expensive, and has excellent shielding, is very
flexible and seems quite durable. Pair that with Neutrik XLRs and you
have a very professional cable that isn't too expensive.