Re: A Manifesto About Quality: Five Theses

Subject: Re: A Manifesto About Quality: Five Theses
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Mon Jun 4, 2007 11:30 pm ((PDT))
Thanks John, for the confidence you place in the probability of my
recordings  being worth posting.

Two problems however:

    1.  My computer/internet incompetence - I wouldn't know how to go about
doing so.

    2.  A lyrebird's single performance usually lasts from 20 minutes to
over an hour - much too long for posting?

Neither insurmountable, I guess.  If I get something worth posting, no doub=
someone can advise me on how to do so.  And a short sample would suffice?

What I do think would be worthy of this erudite mailing list, would be if I
can make two recordings: one at an appreciable distance and thus picking up
something of the general ambience of the forest, and the other with the bir=
at the mic so that only his voice is recorded.  Very different, I can assur=
you!

Another project I have in mind, which I can't be sure of achieving but
mention in case someone else might try it, is to choose some bird with a
loud but simple song given frequently, and then to record it a number of
times at increasing (and measured) distances to show how the sound changes.

Cheers

Syd

> From: "J. Young" <>
> Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:03:49 -0500
> To: <>
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] A Manifesto About Quality:  Five Theses
>
> Syd,
> I surely hope you will post those recordings after you make them. I can
> hardly wait.
>
> Enjoy!
> J.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: