Re: OT: From LiveScience, Shhh! 10 Ways to Quiet Noisy National Park

Subject: Re: OT: From LiveScience, Shhh! 10 Ways to Quiet Noisy National Park
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Mon Jun 4, 2007 11:30 pm ((PDT))

Very interesting article indeed. I especially agree with this section of th=
e article:

"Quiet campgrounds. =E2=80=9CAmtrak has a quiet car, so why don=E2=80=99t w=
e have quiet campsites?=E2=80=9D Blomberg said. =E2=80=9CI=E2=80=99ll bet p=
eople will always pick the quiet campground if they=E2=80=99ve got a choice=
.=E2=80=9D And if everyone wants a quiet campsite, he hopes, parks would be=
 pressured to better manage their soundscapes."
=C2=A0
I can't think how many times I have been tent camping somewhere in a park w=
ith some jerky camping neighbors.

Since I have gained an interest in nature recording, my ears have become sc=
outs no matter where I am to take in any interesting sound, be it natural o=
r man made. However, since I joined the group, I have heard a lot of you sa=
ying how it's next to impossible to find a natural envirnment without man s=
ounds in it somewhere, and I am finding this VERY true. I have never notice=
d this before.

Today, on my job site (I work construction-solo) I backed up my work van at=
 a newly built house way out in the country near where I live. I had been l=
istening to the radio on the drive out, when shut off the truck and stepped=
 outside, no one was there except me and this house plopped in the middle o=
f=C2=A0the woods. I was stopped dead in my tracks at the "silence" and natu=
ral sounds. There were birds all over, huge bees buzzing around, and some w=
ind. I stood there and took in the rare moment for about=C2=A030 seconds, u=
ntil I heard a chainsaw buzz for a second or two way off in the distance th=
at broke me out of the moment. Then I=C2=A0thought how true it was that it =
was next to impossible to have natural noises.

Just thought I'd share...=C2=A0

~dave=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0