Non-traditional nature recording - Ashcraft

Subject: Non-traditional nature recording - Ashcraft
From: "Thomas Ashcraft" heliotown27
Date: Wed May 23, 2007 8:25 am ((PDT))
Greetings recordists.

Much of my own nature recording is the reception of various
electromagnetisms from the planet Jupiter and its moon Io.  My recording
system is comprised of short wave radios and various antennas and I feed
the radio/audio reception into VCRs that I use as 8 hour long sound
recorders. When I capture jovian emissions I pass the audio specimens
from my tapes into a pc and spectrograph system and make .wav files and
spectrograms.  Then I ponder the images and the intricacies of the
sounds, searching for some sort of possible natureful pattern. It is a
long pondering.

My personal slant in my observations is that I consider my radio
telescope system to be a hyper-extension of my own nervous system. As a
listener and receiver I affirm myself as a biological organism and a
deliberate and conscious electro-receptor.

The various emissions that I get are quite intriguing. ( To me at
least.)  When I ponder my spectrograms I see a lot of pattern that may
reside in pure physics but maybe there is some sort of biology there as
well, as yet to be discovered.  Who knows?

http://www.heliotown.com/Jupiter_Pulse_&_Power.html

I am also doing a public sound/electricity experiment in Santa Fe, New
Mexico on May 28 and May 29.

http://www.heliotown.com/Table_of_Contents.html

Best wishes,
Thomas Ashcraft