4. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit

Subject: 4. Re: 24 bit vs. 16 bit
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed May 16, 2007 5:26 pm ((PDT))
"Raimund Specht" wrote

At 1:07 PM -0400 5/16/07, Walter Knapp wrote:

>And this also ignores the rather more important question if people are
>using inappropriate mic setups for what they are trying to do. It seems
>to me folks are trying to push weak signals into usability. When what
>they should do is use more appropriate mic choices, or better fieldcraft
>to get their mic positioned better. Improve the signal from your mics
>and the 24 bit advantages being cited essentially go away.
>
>I figure leaving a recording system unattended for long periods you are
>going to have to tolerate lower quality than can be obtained by attended
>recording.
>
>And I agree that coming up with examples that no experienced recordist
>would do in the field as a justification is just plain silly.

The examples of low saturation I've described in this string are very
realistic.

I very much enjoy monitoring recordings and have spent many nights
doing so. Currently, I favor the practice of setting up my rig in
remote areas 3-4 hours before dusk and retiring from the scene until
the next morning.  Compared to staying on location, this tends to
enable more events and ones closer to the mics/rig.  Rob D.