Re: Fostex FR-2LE preamplifier noise: How does it compare to Sound

Subject: Re: Fostex FR-2LE preamplifier noise: How does it compare to Sound
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Tue May 8, 2007 4:10 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Walt:  The photos are helpful, as is the advice.  I wish
someone would do a real eco-world comparison test of some Sennheiser
MS recordings to some Sennheiser AB recordings so that we can tell
the difference.

I have heard you can do MS with an omni for the M mic.  Do you
agree?

-- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:

> Posted by: "geopaul7"
>
> > I am in the market for a really good hard disk or compact flash
recorder, that i can use
> > with great mics and have it not be a limiting factor.  I
currently use a Sound Devices MP-2
> > preamp/ stereo mixer with a compact DAT machine, per some advice
I read in Bernie
> > Krause's book.  My mics are currently my limiting factor I think,
by far.

> For most the mics are their limiting factor as far as gear goes.
It's
> easier and cheaper to come up with a quality recorder than a high
> quality mic.
>
> You want to match the quality of both.
>
> > I am also in the market for a step up in microphones.  I like
stereo, and am currently
> > thinking of moving away from MS and getting into AB or perhaps
XY.  MS is good for close
> > things, like close ups of herps, but I don't think it is all that
great for large scale ecosystem