Sounds of human cultural diversity (language, song, music, ritual, non-=

Subject: Sounds of human cultural diversity (language, song, music, ritual, non-=
industrial
marketplace or village etc).  This is the preservation of diverse cultural =
adaptation to
ecosystems.  There are also some interesting industrialized ritual sounds -=
-  the O.U.
Texas football game is one ritual that comes to mind.  I have been there an=
d the sound
sends chills down your spine.  An army of 40,000 on either side of the fiel=
d shouting in a
primitive ritual of annihilation.  This must have been what ancient batttle=
s were like
(Cannae?)  Creativity is key here.

There are probaly many archives out there with recordings of famous events:=
  I can think
of FDR's speech here of "A Day That Will Live in Infamy," or "Mr. Gorbachev=
, Take Down
Your Wall"  or "Ich in ein Berliner" in June of 1963,  Therefore, we can't =
dillute this
idea by recreating something that full time employees are already doing.  I=
t has to have its
own niche.

Accordingly, the key is to pick the unique and not easily commercially avai=
lable, and to
wrap in a conceptual package that instructs and inspires, and hopefully in =
my mind, allows
people to use the sound in their environments.

You would seem to have big headstart over in Europe, and can perhaps think =
about that
aspect.  Europe has a refined landscape, and a culture less dependent on ma=
chines.  Much
of the US did not even develop until after the invention of the auto, so ou=
r human
ecosystems are entrenched in that sound, and the sound of airconditioners. =

 In Europe you have villages and ways of interacting that go back way befor=
e the industrial
revolution.  That is one reason why we Americans enjoy visiting.  And archi=
tecture.  I
wonder who has made the best ever recordings inside gothic cathedrals?
Which one has the best acoustics?  Do you have that info handy?  That would=
 seem to be a
good one to start on the western world/human side: The best recording of am=
bience
inside man made structures.  This is fitting because for many of us histori=
ans in the new
world, the cathedral is an icon, representing the foundation of modern west=
ern
civilization.

I am, on this end, very much hoping that 3 or 4 of the top sound recordists=
 in the U.S. will
agree to let us showcase their work in a didactic setting, with links to th=
eir websites or
other contact information.  I have in mind 3 of them, and one who was the l=
eading
recordist of neotropical birdsong, who tragically died on a collecting trip=
.  I don't know
how much Cornell would charge to get access to his recordings.  I would lov=
e to edit and
present them, as a tribute.

Thanks again.  George Paul