Re: Fostex FR2-LE battery

Subject: Re: Fostex FR2-LE battery
From: "Greg Peterson" glp_japan
Date: Thu May 3, 2007 1:15 pm ((PDT))
My experience is exactly as oryoki explained.

At Thu, 03 May 2007 01:54:19 -0000, oryoki2000 wrote:

> "mopani" wrote:>
> >...I've just ordered an FR2LE but without the optional
> > battery pack as it isn't available yet in the UK...
>
> A suitable battery pack can be found through shops that sell
> radio-controlled cars.  Use Google to search for "battery 7.2V RC car
> tamiya"  Tamiya refers to the type of connector used to attach the
> battery pack to the recorder.

I started without a clue about RC cars, so that's exactly what I
did.  I live in Japan and work in Kyoto, so I looked on Tamiya's
Japanese Web site for dealers in Kyoto.  Last week I walked into a
small hobby shop (Planet, near Rakuhoku High School), asked for a
"Tamiya battery" and a charger, and the shop owner knew exactly what
I needed.  I also showed him a printout of a Japanese 2-page PDF
brochure for the Fostex FR-2LE.  The 7.2V Tamiya battery spec made
it clear to him.  His explanation of "Tamiya battery" (7.2V, unique
connector) was exactly the same as yours.

In his world everyone knows about Tamiya batteries. It was an
"initiation" to talk with someone who sells parts to people who
build their own RC race cars. At first he couldn't undertand why
anyone would put an RC car battery in an audio recorder, but as we
talked he got enthusiastic.  He mentally calculated that a Tamiya
battery should enable about twice as much recording as four AAs.

> The battery pack dimensions are 5.4" x 1.87" x 0.97" (137 x 47 x 24
> mm), and is composed of 6 NiMH sub-C cells in 3x2 configuration.  The
> battery is the same shape as the  AA cell carrier included with the
> FR-2LE.  I've seen batteries rated as low as 7.2V 3000 mAH, and as
> high as 7.2V 4500 mAH, in this configuration.  The 4500 mAH battery
> should power the FR-2LE for at least 10 hours of recording.  The 3000
> mAH is considerably cheaper, however.

I got a 3800 mAH battery (made by Eagle Model Co., not by Tamiya)
for the equivalent of about US $35 (list price was JPYen 3,780).
(Sorry, I'm too lazy to remove the battery to get the part number.)
I have not used it enough to know how long a full charge lasts.  The
shop owner said that bigger (4200 mAH) batteries were very
expensive, and he didn't have any in stock.

> Since the FR-2LE does not include a charging circuit, you'll have to
> purchase a charger that plugs the battery  into mains power.  The shop
> that carries the batteries can supply the charger, too.

That was my experience.  The shop owner had two chargers.  One was
really cheap, but he recommended a better one: Eagle Racing (Eagle
Model Co.) AC DELTA PEAK CHARGER, Part No. #2638, for about US $30
(sale price was JPYen 2,880).  The shop owner said that there is a
very expensive Tamiya charger, but few of his RC customers use it.

I've used the charger twice.  When the battery is charging, it shows
a solid blue light.  When it's done the light blinks.  It took a
couple of hours to charge both times, even when the battery had been
used only a short time.

The Tamiya battery is heavier than 4 AA batteries, but it fits
perfectly into the FR-2LE.  Even without the extended recording
time, it's a lot easier to swap Tamiya batteries than to struggle
with 4 AA batteries and the included battery carrier.  I think
Fostex made a very smart design choice with this battery type.

Greg Peterson <>
Kyoto Notre Dame University