6. Re: Group File Hosting Space (was How do you post sound files to a w

Subject: 6. Re: Group File Hosting Space (was How do you post sound files to a w
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu May 3, 2007 10:17 pm ((PDT))
At 9:46 PM +0000 5/3/07, Chris Hails wrote:

>  Can you (or someone) explain how the au
>facility works ? \

Let's say you wanted to see all of the posts with the string,"ad2004" in th=
em.
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=3Dad2=
004&submit=3DSearch&idxname=3Dnaturerecordists

Lets say you wanted to see the whole string (all of the discussion)
for match #5 in the search with the subject line:
"List Upload URL (score: 9)"

(1) First click on the blue link "List Upload URL"  which takes you
to the single post:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2006-06/=
msg00051.html

(2) Click on the "Thread" button in the upper right
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2006-06/=
threads.html#00051

Look for the highlighted item in the list. In this page/example, my
email is the only post in the string. Above you can see other strings
with more than one post in them in the order they were received.

>2. Why do I want to search the archive rather than searching the group -
>  what's the difference ?

I was speaking of the ability to edit posts to change links. The
posts on the bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au site would be globally
editable, whereas those on the yahoo site are not.

Google produces matches with our posts archived on
bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au but not those on Yahoo. I bet a good
number of list members first came across  the natrec list through
Google matches to bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au

They improved the Yahoo list search since the last time I used it. I
can find whole strings faster on the
bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives -- which is a pretty common
search need.

>3. If Anton recently had to delete 400Mb that is hardly a permanent
>sound archive either is it ? is it not better to have the links to our
>own sites properly presereved in permanent message archive and
>encourage members to not delete postings ?

Yes, but if we are talking about even having them available in 50
years, its much easier to upload the sound files to one server/domain
initially and keep track of them there.   Rob D.