2. Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions (TRIPOD CHOICE).

Subject: 2. Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions (TRIPOD CHOICE).
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Wed May 2, 2007 10:48 am ((PDT))
--- scott fraser@ wrote:

> <<perhaps we ought to choose a microphone stand that primarily
> performs the duty of supporting the microphone(s) very well, but
that
> can also be used as a hiking stick.>>
>
> Why not take a small desk stand. There are little tripod stands
which
> fold to under 6 inches. Is there really a need for the mic array to
> be up 4 feet off the ground?
>
> Scott Fraser

Scott and Others:  This is what I finally decided to do after racking
my brains on this, with my trip coming up next week.  First, at B&H I
found a five section $675 Gitzo tripod that is 2 pounds and about
average tripod height (Gitzo GT 1550T), for a full tripod effect.
Very highly reviewed.  Apparently the latest and greatest full height
super lightweight carbon fiber or basalt travel Gitzo.  Very
expensive.  Very chic.

Next, at Amazon, I found a mini-Gitzo tripod for $275 (Gitzo 00 Ultra
Compact 6X) that is about 1 pound (not including ball head) that looks
like it is about 22 inches high.  Very nice, but still kind of
expensive.  Very chic as well and what I almost bought.  With the ball
head and shipping it would have been $375. That is not inexpensive.

Then, last night at Radio Shack, I unexpectly found a $10 very light (1
pound Chinese made) "Targus" tripod (tripod and head both, and carrying
sack) that seemed to have about the right size and weight ( I am
guessing perhaps a smidgeon smaller than the smaller Gitzo).  I will
reinforce with a rock, cord and sack "weigh down" when I use it.

I certainly don't like having cheap, temporary equipment, but I think
this will have the proper functioning if I weigh it down properly.  I
need to save money right now for other more important gear--new sound
editor (Apple Pro Logic), new cables, new mics (researching), new
recorder (researching).

The small Gitzo may become my tripod of choice after a while.  But now,
at Radio Shack, how can I go too far wrong for $10--as long as it does
not break on the trip.

I will report on functionality.

George Paul