3. Re: Spectrogram to a movie file?

Subject: 3. Re: Spectrogram to a movie file?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:59 am ((PDT))
Hi Thomas--
Looks/sounds good here on OS X 10.4.8/QT7.1.3/FireFox.

To address Windows/PC quirks, you might want to try the H.263 codec
(an older mp4 variant). The IMA:4 soundtrack should be a go.

QT movie compatibility haunts me daily as the students working on PC
and Mac post all of their video and sound work on-line. 19 months
ago, we ran a series of tests with students and everyone we knew who
would try out formats on many platform/OS/Browser/Plug-in variations.
We found that the most compatible QT-based format to be H.263. I have
read it is the only mp4 movie codec accepted by MS, Apple and others.
Its not quite as pretty as H.264 or Windows Movies, but unlike these
codecs, the H.263 codec is in most plug-ins/browsers for PC and Mac
browsers going back to Windows98ME. As you are probably aware, some
MS/PC browsers will not play Apple's default mpg sound format for
H.263. Like you, we found the IMA:4 to be the best, fully-compatible
compromise. (Its the same "compressed" format I use in my QT movie
tests. It helps quality if the saturation is high.)

In case anyone is interested, here are the settings we use to make
these H.263 web compatible movies using freeware:
http://tinyurl.com/3xgh53

You may be able to lower the frame rate. The "Sorenson" codec tested
pretty well too with IMA:4 sound.

BTW, QT 7.1.5 (the Mac plug at least) seems to have some bugs with
mp4 movies,.. Our labs are sticking with 7.1.3 and there seem to be
fewer issues than folks in the class who have v7.1.5. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts