Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions.

Subject: Re: Thanks on backpacking solutions.
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue May 1, 2007 4:37 am ((PDT))
Some other thoughts regarding microphone stands, hiking sticks and so on...

Firstly, Duncan Bridgeman of One Giant Leap made an interesting
suggestion in something I read (can't remember where). His ideal
tripod would have a small bag hanging off the bottom of the centre
pole that could be filled with rocks/dirt/sand to keep it stable. This
is a simple idea that would work well, allowing a very light tripod to
be used with no stability issues.

Secondly, I have recently been toying with the idea of 'flying' my
mics in certain environments, just like I do in concert halls. This
would require a length of lightweight nylon twine that could be strung
up between two trees (for example) or slung over a high branch,
allowing the microphone rig to be positioned quite high above the
ground if need be. If slung over a branch, the microphone cable or a
length of fishing line could be anchored to a fixed point (tree
trunk?) to stop the mic from rotating while it hangs. This would be
much lighter to carry than a tripod, and far more versatile in places
where there are trees. Might cause some 'interesting' moments if
monkeys, lemurs, squirrels or similar curious tree-dwellers are
around...

- Greg Simmons