Thanks on backpacking solutions.

Subject: Thanks on backpacking solutions.
From: "geopaul7" geopaul7
Date: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:21 pm ((PDT))
Thanks to Greg Simmons, Scott Frazer, and Rich Peet for their helpful ideas on
ways to
protect gear on backpacking trips.

First, however, I do not fully understand Rich's idea of sticking a hiking
stick in the ground
as a substitute for a tripod.  I can visualize screwing the shock mount or
handle of the
zeppelin into the top of a hiking stick ( did that with a video camera on one
trip).  But
then, how would you get the thing steady enough to withstand wind if you walk
away for
45 minutes, which I like to do?  Can the legs of a hiking stick be steadied
enough with
rocks to do that?  I suppose I should experiment. Rich, have you actually
employed this
solution?  I LOVE the idea of having a hiking stick rather than a heavy tripod
in my pack.

On the protection for the zeppelin,  I will check out Rich's idea about the PVC
pipe at
Home Depo, and Scott's idea of a Fed Ex box.  Both great ideas.  Greg's
solution is to put
the wind mount in a day pack and not crush it.  This is good too and is what I
did this past
weekend and it seemed to work fine.

Greg asks where I am packing.  The upcoming trip (a week from Thurday) is a
four day trip
into the Grand Canyon.  Very sandy and dusty, and at times very windy, and
weight is at a
premium.  But so too is perfect technique, as the environments can be very
quiet.

I clumsily took my gear this weekend into Madera canyon--a north facing canyon
in one of
the "sky islands" of Southeastern Arizona.  I will report on that trip later,
as I need the
group's advice on what the limiting factor is for noise in my recording system.
 Recorded
an Elegant trogon; whipporwhils, Whiskered screech owl, and some ambient bird
song like
vireos and grosbeaks and warblers and woodpeckers.  Much wind noise, and some
water
noise, did not allow me to really test the limits of the MS stereo set I
assembled some
years ago and am thinking of upgrading.

The key reflection on this weekend was the profound importance of getting to
the right
spot--the right sounding place without people noise or machine noise.  This is
why
backpacking is important, to me at least.   Most of our great sounds out here
in the arid
Southwest are in riparian areas or other micro environments, and they are often
overrun
with activity -- the type that destroys biodiversity.

I follow the same rule in flyfishing.  If you are more than 5 miles or so from
the trailhead
on a trout stream, the fishing is usually quite good.  If you are at the
trailhead or within
easy walking distance, there is too much "fishing pressure" for the fishing to
be good. I
therefore need a way to research the location of great sonic environments.
Perhaps
somome should start a database.

This is great group and I truly appreciate your patience with my questions.

George Paul