mic tests

Subject: mic tests
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:48 pm ((PDT))
a non empirical quick morning test using three mics
the files were recorded onto an Archos 402 camcorder hard drive using
a Sound Professional SP-SPSB-5 pre-amp with a LF roll-off of ~100Hz

note: I tried to match the levels as closely as possible using the
50dB gain setting on the pre-amp then fine tuning with the level
controls
this was difficult for the AT-822 test as I had the pre-amp running
full bore but was noticeably lower in level than the other two mics
I should have recorded the AT-822 first and used that as a
reference...next time...

heard: birds, jet fly overs (from SFO), distant traffic, distant
waves and general suburban neighborhood sounds

=96 Radio Shack PZM's/#33-1090B =96 [modified for PIP/stereo configuration]
placed 4ft apart on concrete patio

=96 Reactive Sound Auris stereo lavs
(I believe these use Panasonic WM-61A capsules)
http://reactivesounds.com/am2.php
placed in an A/B config in same location

=96 AT-822 handheld single point stereo mic
X/Y config in same location

I put them up as a .zip archive (6.4Mb) on sendthisfile.com which has
a max limit of 3 downloads
because I didn't want to take up too much server space at Yahoogroups

you can find them here:

https://www7.sendthisfile.com/transfer/download.html?
t=3DQfpSLXyLQHkEAf5QQL5tdNEq