Re: Good online resource for explaining file types and compression?

Subject: Re: Good online resource for explaining file types and compression?
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:12 am ((PDT))
There is some info here with links for each file type:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

Also here:

http://www.fileinfo.net/filetypes/audio

Basically audio files fall into 3 types, non compressed - mainly WAV and AIFF,
compressed - in varying degrees of compression such as mp3 or AAC and lossless
- a form of compression that is able to assemble the original uncompressed file
from the compressed form with out any data loss, such as Apple Lossless.

New kid on the block is bit-stream, take a look here:

http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/technologies/mp04-1bl/index.htm

Hope that helps

Phil