Re: mp3 standard

Subject: Re: mp3 standard
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Tue Apr 3, 2007 9:16 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Rob Danielson"

> Perhaps some quotation scrambling. I believe Walt wrote this.

Guilty as charged.

> I assume he is referring to ACC (iTunes default format and also the
> default format for mp4 QT movies). From what I can sense, I don't
> anticipate ACC replacing the way people use mp3's nor would I want it
> to. That audio folk have one a fairly universal format to use/share
> is a treat. I use 192-256 kbps mp3's when having the original is not
> critical and ACC's sound no better to me.  I changed my iTunes
> default to mp3 and most of my audio apps will now automatically
> import/convert mp3's. WinXP folks may not be able to play ACC, even
> with QT7. That would be good to test. Rob D.

Maybe mp3 will survive, but what I referred to was the choice of the AAC
format by the controlling powers for the mpeg standard over other
contenders for the new mp4 standard to replace mp3. Like all such
things, in due time the OS and software writers will move to mp4. There
is plenty of source of pressure to do so. Many businesses and government
agencies don't allow the downloading or playing of mp3 files now,
greatly reducing it's value as a universal exchange method of audio over
the internet. RIAA will certainly push for the removal of support for
mp3 to get rid of "pirated" music in that format. A lot easier than
going after it file by file. Farther, the new standard includes a
protected format which business can use to sell audio.

The AAC format as used by iTunes has two forms, the m4a format is not
copy protected, the m4p is strongly copy protected (when you buy music
from the iTunes store it's in m4p). m4a is actually the mime filetype
x-m4a.

I am sure WinXP folks can play the standard m4a format (and m4p files if
they buy them) by simply using iTunes, which can also encode them. Or by
using the current version of quicktime. We have played them here on our
Sony PC frequently. Software is also available for unix/linux systems
too. AAC is already a universal format and it's only a matter of time
until it's more common as it's the approved next step in audio files.

How long before the mp3 format goes? I expect quite a while. But I'm
watching the AAC development closely as I want to be able to move my
frog website to it as soon as possible. A lot of the users of my website
are schools and government people and they have problems with mp3
negativity. Once it runs without problem on all browsers I'll convert.
In fact if Microsoft's browser is the only holdout I'd be tempted  to
cut them off, there are alternatives for PC's. Windows folks can choose
to fall behind or not.