Re: WIRE NOISE

Subject: Re: WIRE NOISE
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:48 am ((PDT))
And of course check your possible oxidized XLR's! (forgot, sorry)

Klas.

A cable is a capacitance and the problem you describe is typical for
unstable phantom power when an output has to run high capacitive
loads..Coming and going, more or less by random.

When using long cables, you might get an improvement by
adding  100-200 Ohms resistors in series with all leads - that is 2
resistors / channel. You can put them inside the XLR's which are
connected to the mic's.
An esoteric person would say that those resistors should be matched.

Klas.

At 14:22 2007-03-27, you wrote:
>Gentlemen,
>
>   I'd like to know whether anyone else experiences "wire noise"
> when using powered (~48 V. nom.) microphones outside; I record
> periodically during the day. My cables run outside and the XLR
> connector and I protect the end of the cable against moisture by
> covering it with a plastic bag when it is not used at night.
>
>   The noise develops intermittently and it is not in the microphone
> or mixer. It sounds like electronic noise, and it will disappear if
> the cable is unplugged and reinserted a second of two later. The
> problem may thereafter not return for several months or it might
> return shortly. Does anyone else observed a similar phenomenon?
> What might be done to reduce or eliminate the problem?
>
>   Mike
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."