Re: Off topic, LOL, sounds of Nature???

Subject: Re: Off topic, LOL, sounds of Nature???
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:03 am ((PDT))
Great story, Marty! I'm not sure that I have the same feeling as an
American for the tune in question, but I find a smile on my lips when
you describe Trot!
My dog died four months ago. Perhaps I can get a vacuum cleaner instead?

About the Peter Kalm note: "The Nature" has a "holy mystery" for a
Swede, which must be protected. We have seven (??) small untouched
rivers, which almost could make us independent of nuclear power and
oil for electricity. But I think it is quite unanimous not to use them.

My mother was a very tolerant person. The few people she hated, were
people during her childhood who mistreated their animals.
I was only seven when an old man taught me rules about "The Nature" -
not to laugh, make noise, whistle, or otherwise damage the "holiness".

Klas.

At 13:22 2007-03-24, you wrote:

>Folks:
>
>Something just happened that I HAD to share, but first a little background
>noise: For Christmas, my wife, who is a great sports fan, bought me a
>Roomba - you know, the motorized disc that chases your cats around the
>house and sometimes actually also gets part of the floor clean by random
>accident. She named it "Trot"; for most people this would have no
>significance, but for us Boston Red Sox fans, Trot Nixon was the last of
>the "dirt-dogs", making it a remotely suitable name for a robotic vacuum
>cleaner.
>
>Anyway, when Trot runs his little NiCd batteries down to some
>factory-determined warning level, he heads for the charging station, a
>crescent plugged into a 110 v socket. You are usually away from this scene,
>doing something more productive than watching a robot bump his sensors into
>your chair legs, but this morning we actually witnessed this self-charging
>homing behavior for the first time since we got him. He steers in by way of
>his IR sensors, dramatically shimmying into home port.  When he arrives, he
>shuts down his motor, and in the sudden quiet whispers a familiar six tone
>music bar:
>
>"do ray me so, me so!"  And with perfect timing this morning, my wife, a
>devoted football fan, shouts "Charge!"
>
>I would never have made that connection. Who says engineers don't have any
>sense of humor!
>
>--  best regards,  Marty Michener
>MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
>http://www.enjoybirds.com/
>
>"This flower (Brook Lobelia) was named for Peter Kalm, a naturalist sent in
>1749 by the Swedish Royal Academy to study North American biota. Kalm was
>amazed at the diversity of nature and disgusted at how the English colonists
>were trampling it all, conducting life in a manner of looting which has
>ironically
>more recently become known as conservative". - Botany Everywhere, p. 965
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."
>Klas Strandberg