7. Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!

Subject: 7. Re: Phantom power noise - again!!!
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 pm ((PDT))
At 17:14 2007-03-22, you wrote:
>Klas, you wrote:
>
> > And Lindsay had the same phantom noise using his FR2 with ME62, which
> > is fully symmetrical.
>
>So, this particular problem is probably not caused by the asymmetric
>output...

I don't understand your reasoning about symmetrical outputs and
cancellation of phantom power noise,  but let me think a while....

> > I know that you are right, Raimund, - in theory - but I left "theory"
> > a few years ago. Not much makes sense to me nowadays.
>
>Sure, sometimes the theory simply does not match our practical
>experience...

It's not only that:
The designers at Samson, making the ZOOM H4, probably know much more
theory than you and I together. Still they make a machine which
produces a 600 Hz tone when you use the internal batteries! What a
terrible surprise for someone in charge! Harakiri, perhaps?

But it is quite natural that it becomes that way!
I often buy an IC which has been released on the market. I read the
data.sheet and it's mostly very accurate.
But it is not until I start working with the IC, that I discover
it's  limitations and partly awkward characteristics! The designer
who plots the entire PCB with a computer, he never discovers that.
I believe that the Samson people had planned to make a more expensive
recorder. It has four tracks, balanced and fairly good inputs, a
clean phantom power and surprisingly low noise internal cardioids.
(Not good enough for naturesound, though) But they never discovered
the error with the 600 Hz tone until it was too late. The production
was already going behind the point of no return.

The Samson people are no idiots. Not the Fostex people either, or
Marantz, with their noisy inputs. It goes wrong anyway, sometimes.
It's much more than theory.

Klas.

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,