1. Re: new FR-2Le information

Subject: 1. Re: new FR-2Le information
From: "Bruce" natureguyusa
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:51 pm ((PDT))
Well Dave, I would hope to see 120dB dynamic range since parts to do
that have been available for a few years now. That is the current
state of the art for 24-bit systems and that would require very
carefully designed front ends to obtain that. Those parts are a
little expensive for equipment under $1000, but parts to obtain 114dB
(which are found in the Sound Devices 702) are much cheaper. Anything
getting under 100dB are just using the cheapest $1.00-$2.00 parts
around or they cheaped up or miss-engineered the front end. It kinda
makes you feel ripped off. :-( When I was looking around for a
recorder I became fed up with anything available that doesns't break
the bank and many are barely better than a 16-bit system. Luckily, I
know someone who can help me build my own preamp using only the best
parts and design, and I am building an A/D system with 120db dynamic
range so I can use the digital input of the inexpensive M-Audio
Microtrack. A little like what is available from Core Audio, but with
improvements. I think there will be more recorders with digital
inputs in the future, since digital streams are the future of audio.
Some people will say you don't need more than 100dB, but having a
true 24-bit system allows you to record at -20dB to -30dB so you
don't have any chance of clipping or distorting with unexpected
sounds and still have all the dynamic range a human ear can discern.

I was almost going to buy the Core Audio preamp until I figured I
could make my own cheaper and better. Well, it's not done nor tested
yet, lol.

Bruce Rutkoski

--- In  "david briggs" <>
wrote:

> Bruce , What sort of dynamic range would you expect ? I am curious.
Is it not related to the sampling frequency and bit depth.