sanken css-5 mkh50 comparison and Floater Suspension

Subject: sanken css-5 mkh50 comparison and Floater Suspension
From: "evs" onomatopoetik
Date: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:45 am ((PDT))
hi everyone,
i just made a comparison between the sanken css-5 and two mkh50.
i will write about this because i allways lve to hear the other
comparisons here on the list, so maybe this will be interesting or
usefull for anyone.
forgive my bad english, i=B4m not a native speaker!

i compared the sanken, because i have heard a lot of great things
about it.
i took two mkh50 because i don=B4t know anyone who have a mkh30 to try
a ms set. and there is no rental here who has a mkh30..
the comparison is not very professional, as i just can record in my
room. its not soo quiet here as i=B4m living in a city, and there are
some noises in my room, like heating system, refrigiator, neighbors,
man made noise from me..
i recorded with the  digidesign mbox. not the best pre amps, but
allright for a comparison.
i loaded up some files on my meia center on gmx as i don=B4t have
webspace.
here is the link:
http://service.gmx.net/mc/fmnAceLyTLyVd2itgB00yBYhHCRZUM

there are 2 zip files. one is named "clock" and one "quick float". i
will come to that later.

there are 4 files in the "clock" zip. 44,1khz, 24 bit, bwav.

you hear a alarm clock on the right side. it was in front of the mic
on the right, i think at around 45 degree on the right.
i played a sine tone six seconds over my genelecs while i recorded
the clock and the room so i could see in the end which files i have
to boost.

the sanken seems to be the louder mic. the sanken have 3 modes.
normal, wide and mono. i did not test the mono mode.
so my reference was the sanken in "wide" mode.
the wide mode seems to be hotter than the normal mode. i had to gain
the normal mode 2,9db to reach the reference level.
i gained the mkh50 files 10,3db to reach the loudness from the sanken
in wide mode.

the mkh50 where in a x/y arrangement.

so, the 4 files are the sanken in wide mode, the sanken in normal
mode, the mkh50 and the mkh50 on a quick float (more about htis later.)
these recordings are not so clean, because my appartment is in a city
and there are some man made noises, music from the neighbor and so on
but its totaly good enough for this comparsion, because the result is
so clear:-)

the sanken, as you hear, i think is not suitable for quiet nature or
room recordings.

so this wasn=B4t so suprisingly after knowing that the 18db self noise
on their page where a-weighted.

THE FLOATER SUSPENSION

but here is what surprises me. i borrowd the floater suspension from
ambient (a german company/rental service, here is the link: http://
www.ambient.de/frame_d.html then click on "ambient produkte", there
you will see the floater suspension.)
i don=B4t know if any of you heared from that. its a suspension mostly
for boom operators so that you don=B4t hear so much handle noise.
but i also heared that the sound is even better when you use it with
a tripod..
i used for the recordings a normal mic stand. now i used the floater
just to see what happens.

now because of all the background noises and because of the traffic
its hard to tell if there is a real different between the record with
the floater and without. i thought that there is a difference. (in
fact, i made some more recording than i=B4m showing to you..)

so i tested the mkh50 with floater and without later at night when it
was a little more quiet. now i don=B4t used the mbox preamps. instead i =

used the pre amps from my mackie 1202 vlz-pro.
the mkh had now a ab like arrangement.
you can hear the difference in the "floater suspension" zip.
i did not auditiones while i record, so today, after bringing the
floater back, i recognised that i had the eq on one channel on my
mackie mixer was on all the time. i had turned down the highs. (this
effects just the last recordings, NOT the mkh sanken comparison...)
well, this is the reason i have some mono files in there. and the
stereo files are sounding strange.
the mono files are the channel where i don=B4t used an eq..

the longer i hear it, the more i think its just a change of the
noises surrounding the mic. so maybe this floater is doing nothing,
its a little bit esotheric, but maybe interesting to some of you who
want to have less handling noise..
but it would be interesting to test this in an soundproof room.
(if anyone wants to hear more files of the floater comparison, i will
try to load them up..)

hope this was at least a little bit interesting for anyone,
all the best
emil